Sunday, November 14, 2010

Hey Mommy, this is what you look like!

So in honor of this week's beauty theme, I thought I'd take a moment to remind all of you (and myself) that we need to be extra mindful about how we talk about beauty and makeup in front of our children, especially our daughters. My daughter is only 3 and she is already obsessed with everything hair and makeup! You'd think that I spend all day in front of the mirror, but truth be told, I'm lucky if I get 5 minutes in front of the mirror in the morning!

The other day my daughter had to get 2 shots in her leg, and she was a bit sore and cranky from them, so when she asked if I would FINALLY let her play with my makeup, I gave in and let her experiment with some of my old makeup products. When she was done applying her makeup, she looked at me and said, "Hey Mommy, this is what you look like"! Judging by the picture, hopefully none of you will believe that I ever leave the house looking like my makeup was applied in the dark, but what she said really struck me. Even though I rarely have time to put a "whole face" on of makeup, she thinks I put tons and tons on, and already at such a young age, my daughter sees the "value" in makeup. It really reminded me that I need to be very careful about how I talk about myself and makeup in front of my daughter, because I would hate to think that she ever got the idea that she is anything but the beautiful makeup-less little girl that she is. I want her to understand to that beauty comes from within, and though makeup is a very fun thing to put on, at the end of the day, it's not what makes us beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks!