Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Prayers for the people of Haiti

I just wanted to take a second to ask everyone to take a few moments of silence to pray for the people of Haiti who have been so devastatingly affected by the earthquake yesterday. Sometimes it can be very easy to succumb to the pressures of our daily lives, especially when it comes to the state of our economy these days. However, the majority of Americans will never even be able to fathom the kind of extreme poverty experienced by so many Haitians on a daily basis. When I was in high school we had a sister school in Haiti, and every year we would hold fundraisers to raise money for the school, and then a teacher would travel there to deliver everything. One year the priest from the school traveled to the U.S. to visit our school and thank us for the help we were giving. I still remember the joy on the priests face, even though he was so used to experiencing such hardship with his people. The Haitians I have met in my own life have always had this joy and love for life, though they lack so much materially. I guess what I'm trying to say is that even in hardship we can still find joy and peace, just like the people of Haiti. I hope you will join me in praying for the people of Haiti, that they may find hope and strength in the days to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks!